What you need to know
This position is NOT located in the United States. The selected candidate must be willing to relocate to Doha, Qatar.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science or relevant field, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Three years of related experience in laboratory operations in a post-secondary or adult training/educational institution and/or experience as a practitioner/professional within a relevant discipline in Engineering
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to work with a diverse customer base
- Knowledge of laboratory equipment, scientific apparatus and computer equipment
- Competency in laboratory safety procedures
- Excellent presentation and computer skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to multi task and work cooperatively with others
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Master degree or higher in Computer Engineering or Computer Science or relevant field
- Five years of experience in teaching and developing laboratory course material
- Experience with laboratory development at a U.S.-based university or similar institution
- Proven academic or industrial experience with hardware description languages (VHDL or Verilog), programmable logic devices, and electronic design automation tools
- Experience with ARM Cortex-M and embedded microprocessor platforms programming and interfacing
- Experience in App development for OS and Android
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Software development skills using C, C++, JAVA, Python and/or similar languages
- Knowledge of Windows, Linux, and macOS operating systems
- Specialized Technical Knowledge – Organizes the electrical undergraduate teaching laboratories so that they are effectively configured to maximize the student learning environment this includes but not limited to housekeeping of assigned labs. Explains to students any difficulty or complex details of laboratory equipment or experiment procedure to be performed. Supervises and assists students in conducting practical laboratory experiments during laboratory hours in the undergraduate teaching labs. Advises students in laboratory report preparation outside of scheduled laboratory hours. Grades laboratory assignments and reports according to faculty prepared guidelines. Ensures all TAMUQ safety protocols and standards are maintained. Assists the Laboratory Manager in departmental projects. Is responsible for routine maintenance and oversees inventory management of laboratory supplies. Assists the Laboratory Managers in communicating with vendors to have all spare parts available for teaching labs.
- Lab Instructorship – Prepares high quality learning support materials and employs a variety of teaching strategies to meet diverse student needs. Supports the course instructor, including grading homework assignments, quizzes and term projects. Holds recitations help sessions and problem-solving sessions, and exam review sessions. Maintains office hours for one-on-one tutoring sessions.
- Lab Operations – Coordinates with faculty and Lab Manager to ensure that the laboratories are set-up and ready for classes. Prepares laboratory manuals and standard laboratory procedures under faculty and Laboratory Manager supervision. Prepares all necessary equipment for laboratory sessions. Reports to the Laboratory Manager modifications, updates, and innovations introduced to the teaching labs and the storage room. Performs routine maintenance, and safety procedures on all laboratory equipment. Maintains inventory records of laboratory supplies, goods and equipment. Determines the need for equipment and supplies and arranges for purchasing, receipt, and inventory of all laboratory goods and supplies.
- Admin and Trainings – Prepares the required documents for ABET compliance requirements of assigned courses. Trains and indirectly supervises Student Workers in the handling and preparation of laboratory materials. Attends workshops events, meetings and training recommended by the Laboratory Manager. Performs other duties as assigned.