Responsible and accountable for providing individualized care during the immediate preoperative and postoperative period utilizing the nursing process and established standards of care.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Selects and prepares appropriate supplies for the pre-operative and post-operative based on the OR schedule, clinical knowledge, and the physician’s plan of care.
- Has a clear understanding of the anesthetic agents and medications used?
- Provide direct and indirect patient care using the nursing process to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate patient requirements as directed by the physician.
- Demonstrate continued competence in all facets of ambulatory surgery.
- Accurately and thoroughly completes and reviews the pre-operative assessment prior to procedure time.
- Monitor vital signs and reports initial and any abnormalities to Anesthesiologist.
- Assesses the patient’s respiratory, cardiovascular, circulatory, and neurological status.
- Assessing fluid administration site and appropriate rate.
- Administers medications safely and accurately.
- Executes physician’s orders specified while in the unit in a timely manner.
- Implements patient comfort measures as appropriate (medication for pain and nausea & vomiting, position changes, and temperature control).
- Documents all observations and nursing care provided accurately and thoroughly on the appropriate forms.
- Educates patients and families on post-operative instructions.
- Discharges patients according to physician’s orders, patient’s condition, and standards of care.
- Graduate of Nursing School; Registered Nurse
- Minimum of three years experience in Pre-Op and PACU preferred
- Ambulatory Surgery experience preferred