University of Calgary in Qatar
The University of Calgary opened its first overseas branch campus with generous financial support from the State of Qatar and began delivering undergraduate nursing programs in 2007. Since then, the University of Calgary in Qatar (UCQ) has been educating the future nursing leaders in Qatar by offering Bachelor of Nursing and Master of Nursing programs accredited by the Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing (CASN).
In order to meet a growing demand to support students in the undergraduate and graduate levels, UCQ is currently seeking a Student Services Officer who can start in January 2021.
Reporting directly to the Director of Student & Enrolment Services, the Student Services Officer plays a critical role in ensuring the University of Calgary academic policy and regulations are being upheld at the University of Calgary in Qatar in order to help safeguard the integrity of the University of Calgary degree. The position has a diverse range of responsibilities related to all aspects of undergraduate students at UCQ. This includes academic advising, maintaining student records, conducting academic reviews, evaluation of graduation applications, planning and participating in various student life activities and meeting with parents, internal and external stakeholders. Furthermore, the Student Services Officer is responsible, in consultation with the academic leadership, for the development of class schedules and maintenance of computerized student enrolment systems (e.g. class rosters, attendance rosters, transcripts, etc.)
This position requires cultural sensitivity, patience when working with students of a different culture, a student-centered approach and a high standard of accuracy. The nature of the work is driven by deadlines, interruptions and shifting priorities; it is imperative that the Student Services Officer can work independently and with minimal direct supervision.
- University degree and a minimum of four years of experience in academic advising, student records management or other registrar services
- Ability to develop and uphold university policies and standards and show good judgment in dealing with individual circumstances with consideration of constantly changing international political environments
- Ability to work productively in a framework of operations that fully respects the laws, culture and religion of Qatar
- Expertise with records management using Student Information Systems, preferably PeopleSoft
- Experience with a variety of business software, including the Microsoft Office suite
- A high degree of professionalism and the ability to work and live within a close-knit community
- Ability to be decisive while simultaneously working with a level of ambiguity
- Ability to explain decisions to students and to advise students on meeting program regulations
- Ability to organize self and office to handle many complex tasks in parallel, meeting deadlines and maintaining accuracy and quality control
- Ability to work in a confidential setting and demonstrate good judgment in dealing with sensitive situations
- Effective interpersonal skills with sensitivity to race, ethnicity, religion and culture and ability to convey information with diplomacy and tact
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-based environment
- Excellent attention to detail and superior oral and written communication skills especially in a second language setting
- Flexibility, adaptability and the maturity to work in an ever-changing environment
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills to maintain a customer-friendly and welcoming environment to students and faculty, as well as, having the ability to be firm and make tough decisions
- Strong customer service skills and attitude
- Strong desire in helping students succeed in a post-secondary setting
- Willingness to travel within the State of Qatar as required
Following the University of Calgary Canadian pay scale, all successful candidates can look forward to an attractive expatriate compensation package, with an initial 2-year contract, renewable yearly thereafter on mutual terms. Benefits can also be extended to spouse and/or children below 18 years old, including school tuition support.
When submitting your application online, please include a cover letter that will indicate your reason for applying, and why we should consider you a strong candidate for this role. Qualified applicants will be notified when job posting closes on October 5, 2020.
- Candidates with similar experience in a post-secondary institution will be given priority;
- Applications submitted through the general inquiries e-mail address will likely not be considered;
- This competition is open to Canadian passport holders or those with Permanent Residency status in Canada; and,
- Due to the expected volume of applications, we can only contact shortlisted candidates.
Successful candidates will be required to provide copies of their passports (valid 6 months prior to travel), police clearance, academic/professional credentials, and marriage and birth certificates (for those traveling with a family). The appointment is contingent on the successful completion of the State of Qatar visa process.
Apply for this job on company website, click on this link: careers.ucalgary.ca.