Working as part of a multi-disciplinary imaging team, the Sonographer, under the supervision of the Manager – Sonography, performs the operational activities pertaining to the ultrasound imaging services to ensure delivery of a high-quality Diagnostic imaging service. The ultrasound imaging service provides inpatient and outpatient diagnostic and interventional ultrasound procedures on adult patients on a referral basis and medical research. Through the production of high-quality images, the Sonographer is responsible to ensure a high standard of service is continually provided to all patients, parents and other hospital staff as prescribed in the patient care and facility standards.
KEY ROLE ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Plans, prioritizes and organizes Ultrasound workload, ensuring the necessary patient care is provided to patients of all ages.
- Ensures that systems and standards that promote patient safety and safe practices for delivering patient care for the modality are adhered to as directed. Provides modality expertise in reference to the Ultrasound service, assists in the maintenance and development of the Ultrasound service.
- Working independently performs all routine and specialized Ultrasound procedures, and associated responsibilities, as dictated by the workload in the rostered area. Plans, prioritizes and organizes Ultrasound workload, ensuring the necessary patient care is provided to patients of all ages.
- Acts independently in the assessment of referrals for Ultrasound examinations, taking full responsibility to utilize skills to assess a patient’s condition, often acute, decide on an appropriate method to obtain a diagnostic image from a range of options.
- Participates in standby and on-call roster systems for the Women’s ultrasound service, in imaging areas appropriate to training and qualifications, as designated by senior staff.
- Provides support and relief for department managers as required.
- Adheres to departmental and applicable organizational policies, procedures and regulations relevant to the Ultrasound patient care team. Maintains accurate and concise records of all imaging received by the patient using the appropriate systems.
- Supports the Manager – Sonography to manage and maintain a high level of expertise and reducing faults/issues effectively to guarantee the safe operations of the Ultrasound equipment, ensuring an efficient flow and optimal utilization of resources.
- Implements directed change to effect continual improvement in services provided, and ensures compliance with all internal and external standards as well as regulatory and legal requirements.
- Involves in the training and development of new employees on equipment and procedures in the area of operations in alignment with the departments and Sidra’s training objectives and plans.
- Participates in and complies with quality improvement programs and competency assessment initiatives for the Women’s services.
- Participates in mandatory training and actively practices continual professional development in alignment with Sidra’s professional development programs to ensure maintenance of professional licensure/accreditation.
- Monitors and maintains stock levels for consumables relative to the service.
- Adheres to and promotes compliance with the hospital’s safety and protection codes of practice and takes appropriate action where non-compliance is evident.
- Deputizes and manages the team as and when required.
- Demonstrates the ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the facility.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
- Attends divisional and other meetings as appropriate.
- Adheres to Sidra’s standards as they appear in the Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest policies
- Adheres to and promotes Sidra’s Values
- Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Imaging or equivalent
- Post Graduate qualification is required if the base degree is not within the ultrasound field
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Experience in a dedicated Ob/gyn medical imaging facility
- Knowledge and clinical experience in Ob/gym ultrasound protocols and procedures
Certification and Licensure
- Eligible for registration with the ARRT/CAMRT/HCPC or an equivalent licensing/accreditation board as an Ultrasound technologist
- Licensed in the country of origin as an Ultrasound technologist
- Eligible for licensure as an Ultrasound technologist in the State of Qatar