University of Calgary in Qatar
To sustain its growth in promoting and increasing the profile of professional nursing practice in Qatar, the University of Calgary in Qatar is currently seeking a Sessional Instructor who has experience teaching Sociology in post-secondary institutions. This is an excellent opportunity for established instructors and academics who are passionate about teaching and scholarly activity in an international environment.
The successful candidate will have evidence of successful teaching ability, with demonstrated ability in course development and delivery. Preference will be given to applicants with at least three years of instruction at the undergraduate level. Experienced in teaching in the Middle East environment would be an asset.
Successful applicants must be able to be in Doha, Qatar around the middle of to the third week of August 2020, in time for the start of school in September. This is a sessional appointment that terminates in December 2020.
Qualifications / Requirements
- A Master’s Degree is required; a candidate with Ph.D. will have a definite advantage
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in university teaching and/or education development
- Ability to maintain continuous on-the-job, independent learning to stay current in the field of educational development and teaching and learning and to support on-going research to enhance practice and for publication
- A mature approach to organizational duties
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- High level of credibility in providing expertise in the area of building teaching and learning capacity in the University community
- Ability to apply his/her professional expertise to make judgments on the application of best practices within the field of educational development
- Mature judgment, sensitivity, and a high degree of autonomy
- Experience working with various software and technology programs including Microsoft Office and D2L
- Intercultural sensitivity, awareness and experience in a multi-cultural and/or international environment
Preference will be given to Faculty who have prior teaching experience or familiar with the culture in the Middle East.
All employment applications must be submitted online through our career page not later than March 14, 2020. Also, please note:
- Must have or able to open a Canadian bank account for payroll purposes; Canadian passport holder or Canadian Permanent Resident preferably;
- Applications submitted through the general inquiries e-mail address will likely not be considered;
- Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted; and,
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The successful candidate will be required to provide his/her own medical and dental insurance coverage, in addition to police clearance. The appointment is contingent on the successful completion of the State of Qatar visa process.