About the job
To lead the effective delivery and completion of a key English language training contract. The postholder will be required to lead on operational, relationship, line and academic quality management within a military context.
The British Council has been operating in Qatar since 1972, and currently employs approximately 70 full time staff. British Council Doha has a main teaching centre which sees per term around 300 Adult students, over 250 Young Learners and a range of off-site corporate contracts.
British Council Qatar has been supporting and developing the English language skills of military personnel in Qatar since 2017. The final phase of this contract, from February to October 2022, requires a suitable Senior Teacher to oversee the operational and relationship management of the project. This role will be key in supporting the teachers in achieving the agreed outcomes of the contract through academic and line management.
- Implement operational procedures and systems to ensure teaching delivery remains on track and achieves project outcomes.
- While there are no fixed teaching hours, the senior teacher will act as the main substitute teacher for the 8 teachers on the project.
- Provides timely feedback on operational issues and events to more senior managers, enabling the adaptation of work plans where necessary and supporting continuous improvement in the efficiency and quality of service delivery
- Takes end-to-end accountability for researching and obtaining satisfactory and timely resolution of any client operational complaints and issues, coordinating input from other colleagues as required. Ensures the customer is kept informed throughout the process.
Relationship & stakeholder management
- Develops good working relationships with appropriate colleagues throughout the British Council to facilitate effective and efficient service delivery.
- Leads regular meetings o report progress to clients, ensuring these run efficiently and effectively and that a positive, professional image of the British Council is projected.
Risk & compliance
- Follows agreed corporate risk management processes and procedures when delivering services (e.g. security policies, financial protocols, anti-fraud measures) to protect the interests of the British Council and its customers at all times.
Analysis & reporting
- Using standard procedures and templates, regularly records, analyses and reports on operational activity levels and performance data for clients.
Leadership & management
- Plans and prioritises own work activities, which span across a range of different work streams, responding to changing and at times competing requirements to ensure effective delivery of responsibilities over a weekly/monthly time horizon.
- To manage the day to day performance of a small team of teachers (approx.8), dealing with sickness, discipline, motivation etc, to ensure high quality service delivery is maintained at all times
About You (essential requirements for the role):
- Proven ability to manage or contribute to and develop pedagogic activities such as syllabus design, teacher timetabling, class scheduling and course planning.
- Proven ability of undertaking teacher observations, teacher training, line management and/or professional development of teachers and support staff.
- At least 4 years full time and relevant EFL teaching experience after initial training (TEFL-I level) including Corporate, ESP and Soft.
- Experience of operational management for off-site training programmes
- English (IELTS Level 8.5 or proficiency level)
- First Degree in a related field.
- TEFL Q qualification (DELTA or Trinity Diploma in TESOL)