About the job
Prepare and develop arrangement and detail conceptual, FEED, studies, and detail design drawings of high technical quality and professional consistent presentation ensuring clarity and ease of construction. Develop 3D models and ensure clash free with all other disciplines. Ensure design deliverables are completed and issued per project specifications, MDR and project Level 2 & 3 procedures, and within agreed schedules. Apply knowledge and/or skills to complete a variety of day-to-day activities within own area. Continue developing skills to complete repetitive tasks efficiently. Prioritize and organize own work to meet agreed-upon deadlines.
Liaise with Engineers, other Designers, Lead Designer and assigned designers in other disciplines.
Key Tasks And Responsibilities
- Become fully familiar with the Contract Scope of Work, specifications, schedule and all interdiscipline requirements; including identifying concerns as early as practicable and taking appropriate initiatives to address the issues.
- Identify changes to scope and promptly raise change notification in the Change Management system, including providing any necessary supporting documentation and estimates. Provide similar support for Variation Orders.
- Interface with all disciplines to develop clash free designs.
- Interface with other disciplines to obtain input for Discipline designs and drawings.
- Liaise with other discipline support groups to ensure clearly defined interfaces, deliverables and schedules are met.
- Document substantive communications (communications that result in significant decisions or assignment of actions), and forward copies to Discipline Lead Designer and Discipline Supervisor.
- Assist Discipline Lead Designer in preparing estimates for proposals and job scope changes, including execution statements, work schedules, and manhour requirements.
- Raise technical queries to obtain missing information, clarify work scope, and to maintain preferred McDermott procedures, specifications, standards, practices and operational requirements.
- Participate in finalizing deliverables lists, deliverables and philosophies to ensure compliance with specifications and functional integrity.
- Attend project kickoff and review meetings, vendor/supplier meetings, engineering and design meetings and offshore site surveys as required.
- Research Customer standards and procedures in order to prepare project-specific design procedures and standards for submission to the Customer for approval.
- Set up and maintain the Discipline Master design drawing and document files, including final archiving.
- Prepare and review Discipline deliverables such as:
- 3D model
- Detailed design drawings
- As-built drawings
- Review drawings issued by other disciplines and incorporate the required data into Discipline drawings.
- Review vendor drawings and documents and incorporate required vendor data into Discipline drawings and documents.
- Assist in providing necessary design inputs to other disciplines to enable them in proceeding with their deliverables.
- Identify all items for which insufficient data is available to allow the drawing or model to be completed (HOLDS), and list these on the drawing and on the standard ‘HOLDS’ list form. Notify the Discipline Lead Designer when there are updates to the Holds list.
- Generate IDC design documentation for the project.
- Perform design verification through single discipline checks (SDC) and/or inter-discipline checks (IDC), providing comments to Lead Designer.
- Review all project IDC design documentation for detail technical interfaces.
- Maintain single discipline and inter-discipline check drawings and filing.
- Prepare, issue and update material and weight data take-offs.
- Assist Fabrication as required in the resolution of construction difficulties relating to design problems, clashes, etc.
- Monitor progress and maintain the Discipline deliverables register on an ongoing basis.
- Ensure compliance with the Project Execution Plan and the timely completion and archiving of drawings and documents.
- Keep Lead Designer apprised of all activities, progress and concerns, including manpower and budgetary related.
Essential Qualifications And Education
- High School graduate with a diploma in Civil, Electrical or Mechanical Design, or Drafting in a related discipline or equivalent experience
- 6 years min with major contractor or consultant of which 2+ years of experience in predominately offshore oil and gas
- Detailed knowledge of associated industry detailing standards. Detailed knowledge of 3D and 2D drafting systems (AutoCAD and/or MicroStation). Working experience in PDMS and/or PDS/SPM.
Preferred Qualifications And Education
- Knowledge of QA Systems and a good communicator. Detailed knowledge of AutoCAD and/or Auto lisp Programming, 3D Model creation, Menu and/or Macro compilation skills would be an advantage.