ACS International School
ACS Doha is looking for an experienced Lower School Principal to start in September 2020.
OVERALL JOB PURPOSE
The Lower School Principal is responsible for the leadership and day-to-day management of a brand new, purpose-built campus for the Lower School Division. The successful candidate needs to contribute to the growth of the school, while ensuring the delivery of a rigorous curriculum, maintaining an outstanding learning environment and community-focused atmosphere.
- Leads the Lower School Division by promoting ACS’s Vision and Values, Philosophy and Ethos through the day-to-day interactions with the ACS community.
- Demonstrate reflective leadership practice that values feedback.
- Collaboratively implement and evaluate policies and procedures to secure the highest standards of teaching and learning.
- Positively contributes to the development and annual review of the School Strategic Plan ensuring learning is at the center of planning and resource management.
- Establishes a culture for continuous improvement in the School/Division.
- Evaluates and updates practices as appropriate ensuring up to date information and communication.
- Encourages and supports the development of initiatives that link with the School Strategic Plan.
- Encourage and support the active engagement of parents and carers in their child’s educational progress Teaching and Learning
- Ensures that all students receive a rigorous education through a program designed to promote a safe and healthy school environment, and using a variety of data to monitor every child’s learning.
- Collaboratively establishes creative, responsive and effective approaches to learning and teaching.
- Establishes strategies that secure high standards of behavior and attendance.
- Monitors, evaluates and reviews classroom practices and promotes improvement strategies to ensure that underperformance is challenged at all levels.
- Use student assessment results and discussions with faculty to inform curriculum development in the Division, liaising with the Early Childhood Principal, PYP Coordinator, ACS Education Strategy Services in the UK to ensure consistency across the Schools.
- Communicates student progress effectively to parents to ensure their on-going involvement with their child’s education.
- Maintain respectful communication with all stakeholders, and facilitate positive and innovative problem solving
Ensure clear, consistent and on-going communication with the wider ACS community.
Collaborate with admissions to balance enrollment demands with conditions of acceptance.
- Builds effective and collaborative working relationships with all constituents of the ACS Community
- Seeks opportunities and partnerships with internal and external organizations that will enhance the student’s experience.
- Supports community initiatives and attends school events.
- Communicates effectively by hosting community events, training workshops and opportunities for input and feedback.
- Develops advocacy and recognition for students and teachers.
- Cooperates and works with relevant agencies to safeguard children and staff.
- Deals with student and parent concerns in a timely, sensitive manner encouraging positive outcomes to situations.
General administration and management
- Develops and manages efficient systems for the daily operational activities (e.g. assessment and reporting, assemblies, parent events etc).
- Collaborates on a master schedule for the Division that allows for a continuum of learning throughout the school.
- Manages information effectively and maintains appropriate records on students, staff, faculty, and curriculum in accordance with best practice and inspection criteria.
- Ensures understanding of inspection and accreditation processes and ensures effective implementation.
- Ensures student progress is accurately recorded and reported regularly to parents.
- Leads and contributes to WASC and IB evaluation processes
- Ensures the effective management of Divisional budgets ensuring achievement of agreed activities and objectives.
- Submits, as appropriate, priorities for expenditure in line with the ACS budgeting timetable.
- Plans allocate, supports and evaluate work undertaken by individuals and teams, ensuring clear delegation of tasks and responsibilities.
- Ensures the appropriate and effective use of ACS’s performance management tools and policies to ensure continuous improvement.
- Ensures that facilities are kept safe and clean/adheres to all health and safety policies and procedures.
- Ensures that appropriate risk assessments are undertaken before sanctioning and any potentially hazardous activities
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s degree and an advanced Master’s degree in leadership.
- A proven track record of curriculum leadership: planning, facilitating, assessing and monitoring a Lower School framework.
- Successful IB World School leadership experience with IB training preferred.
Several years of previous teaching experience required.
- Sound knowledge of, and experience in the PYP, as well as a thorough understanding of modern educational practices.
- Fluency in the English language.
Personal Qualities (ALP)
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Model and promote the IB learner profile and PYP attitudes.
- Able to balance quick response decisions and priorities without deviating from longer-term aims.
- Courage and conviction of opinions and decisions.
- Ability to quickly build effective and sustainable working relationships with the wider community while sensitive to other cultures and values.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; ability to work within a team; positive attitude; growth mindset; and a sense of humor.
- Open and collaborative leadership style.
- Purposeful and responsive influencing style.
- Exceptional prioritizing, planning and organizing skills.
- Able to seek advice and support when necessary.