Opening in 2004, Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar is part of a reciprocal effort with the Qatar Foundation to bring excellent American educational undergraduate programs to the Middle East. The foundation of CMU Qatar’s success is the extraordinary faculty and staff who work here. By bringing together a diverse group of people, we have benefited from the differing skill sets, experiences, and perspectives that each person brings.
We are seeking Research Assistant for Biological Sciences in our Qatar Campus.
Core responsibilities include:
1. Liaising and collecting water samples from treatment plants within Doha, Qatar
2. Implement novel and existing NGS applications
3. Develop, optimize and perform NGS workflow steps, including sample preparation, library preparation, amplification and sequencing
4. Perform molecular biology assay development on sequencing and sample preparation platforms
5. Perform chemical analysis on water samples
6. Data-driven – critically analyze and derive insights from experimental data, esp. NGS data, using standard and custom NGS bioinformatics tools and metagenomics statistical analysis
7. Work on assembly and annotation of bacterial and phage genomes focusing on specific proteins with consequent their 3D analysis including modeling the structure, their complexes, molecular dynamics, binding site analysis at atomic level, correlation studies together with wet lab experiments.
8. Independently design experimental plans, execute experiments, perform in-depth data analysis, and present results and conclusions for internal review.
9. Demonstrate exceptional time management skills and have a resilient approach to the challenges at hand
10. Collaborate effectively within a multidisciplinary organization
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities at the Qatar campus. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.