Foreign & Commonwealth Office Doha
The British Embassy Doha is part of a worldwide network that represents political, economic, security and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a Political Assistant grade A2 (L) to start as soon as possible.
Main Purpose of the Job:
The Political Assistant will provide administrative, protocol, secretarial and logistical support to the Embassy’s political team, and serve as assistant to the Deputy Head of Mission (DHM). He/she will be responsible for: coordinating and issuing diplomatic notes; diary management and administrative support for the DHM; handling some visa requests; correspondence; information management for political team; and help with organising Embassy visits and events.
The successful candidate will have strong organisation and communication skills, will be able to prioritise flexibly and use their own initiative to deliver to deadlines. He/she will have strong people skills with the ability to work collaboratively within a busy team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
General administration of Political Section (70%)
- Administrative support for the Head of Political Section;
- Drafting and issuing diplomatic notes;
- Working with Embassy teams to assist in the delivery of Embassy events;
- Handling visa requests sensitively;
- Responsible for Political Section information management;
- Logistical support for external meetings;
- Maintaining and updating contacts for the team;
- Assisting the team with general administrative tasks; and
- Flexibility to respond to Political Section team requirements as they arise.
Personal assistance and secretarial support to the Deputy Head of Mission (DHM) (30%)
- Take on responsibility for administration of the DHM’s office including diary management;
- Correspondence and note-taking; and general logistical support to the running of a busy Embassy.
The above list is not exhaustive and the jobholder will be required to be flexible and take on other ad hoc tasks as required.
- Delivering at Pace: Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
- Collaborating and Partnering: People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
- Managing a Quality Service: Effectiveness in this area is about being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
- Changing and Improving: People who are effective in this area are responsive, innovative and seek out opportunities to create effective change.
- High standard of spoken and written English (IELTS score of at least 7 or equivalent);
- Educated to degree level;
- Confident communication and accurate drafting and writing ability;
- Strong organisational skills;
- Previous secretarial or administrative experience;
- Strong people skills with the ability to work collaboratively within a busy team;
- Good customer service skills;
- Ability to work independently, prioritise flexibly and use own initiative to deliver to tight deadlines;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Bilingual level of spoken and written Arabic;
- Experience of interpreting for official meetings.