Sheraton Hotels & Resorts
Entry-level management position that focuses on successfully accomplishing the daily objectives in the kitchen. Assists in leading staff while personally assisting in all areas of the kitchen, including food production; purchasing and kitchen sanitation. Position contributes to ensuring guest and employee satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
Core Work Activities
- Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are met.
- Maintains food handling and sanitation standards.
- Performs all duties of Culinary and related kitchen area employees in high demand times.
- Oversees production and preparation of culinary items.
- Ensures employees keep their work areas clean and sanitary.
- Works with Restaurant and Banquet departments to coordinate the service and timing of events and meals.
- Complies with loss prevention policies and procedures.
- Strives to improve service performance.
- Communicates areas in need of attention to staff and follows up to ensure follow-through.
- Leads shifts while personally preparing food items and executing requests based on required specifications.
- Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
- Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
- Checks the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Assists in determining how food should be presented and creates decorative food displays.
Supporting Culinary Team Activities
- Supervises daily shift operations.
- Ensures all employees have proper supplies, equipment, and uniforms.
- Supervises staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
- Ensures completion of assigned duties.
- Participates in the employee performance appraisal process, giving feedback as needed.
- Handles employee questions and concerns.
- Communicates performance expectations in accordance with job descriptions for each position.
- Participates in an on-going employee recognition program.
- Conducts training when appropriate.
- Monitors employee’s progress towards meeting performance expectations.
Maintaining Culinary Goals
- Participates in department meetings and continually communicates a clear and consistent message regarding the departmental goals to produce desired results.
- Supports and assists with new menus, concepts, and promotions for the Restaurant outlets and Banquets.
Providing Exceptional Customer Service
- Sets a positive example for guest relations.
- Handles guest problems and complaints seeking assistance from the supervisor as necessary.
- Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service within guidelines.
- Reports malfunctions in department equipment.
- Purchases appropriate supplies and manage food and supply inventories according to budget.
- Attends and participates in all pertinent meetings.