About the job
To ensure the rational and effective use of medication. Perform various functions through collaborative drug therapy management in order to offer excellent patient care.
Main tasks and responsibilities (the position exist to perform the below tasks and essential activities)
- Focusing on achieving optimal use of medications, emphasizing dosing, monitoring, identification of adverse effects, and economic efficiency to achieve optimal patient outcomes.
- Provide input into the preparation and consolidation of the pharmacy department’s budget, monitor financial performance during the year and identify areas of unsatisfactory performance (if any), and recommend mitigating actions.
- Assess the status of the patient’s health problems and determine whether the prescribed medications are optimally meeting the patient’s needs and goals of care.
- Evaluate the appropriateness and effectiveness of the patient’s medications & Develop effective medication plans that minimize the risk of adverse side-effects.
- Recognize untreated health problems that could be improved or resolved with appropriate medication therapy.
- Follow the patient’s progress to determine the effects of the patient’s medications on his or her health.
- Consult with the patient’s physicians and other health care providers in selecting the medication therapy that best meets the patient’s needs and contributes effectively to the overall therapy goals.
- Advise the patient on how to best take his or her medications.
- Support the health care team’s efforts to educate the patient on other important steps to improve or maintain health, such as exercise, diet, and preventive steps like immunization.
- Refer the patient to his or her physician or other health professionals to address specific health, wellness, or social services concerns as they arise.
- Develop clinical pharmacy programs according to policies and regulations.
- Provide a consistent process of patient care that ensures the appropriateness, effectiveness, and safety of the patient’s medication use.
- Consult with the patient’s physicians and other health care providers to develop and implement a medication plan that can meet the overall goals of patient care established by the health care team.
- Apply specialized knowledge of the scientific and clinical use of medications, including medication action, dosing, adverse effects, and drug interactions, in performing their patient care activities in collaboration with other members of the health care team.
- Evaluate and assess new patients, and update the progress of prior patients, identify medication related problems and potential problems, develop plan of care for optimal dosing based on renal and hepatic function, potential drug interactions, and serum concentrations.
- Ensure implementation of the medication plan by coaching medical residents in proper order entry under a collaborative practice agreement and document in the electronic medical record (EMR)
- Review records of patients to determine the appropriateness of medication therapy.
- Evaluate patient’s condition to ensure all issues are being treated.
- Identify untreated health problems and refer patients to appropriate physicians.
- Develop clinical pharmacy programs according to policies and regulations
- Review records of patients to determine the appropriateness of medication therapy
- Evaluate patient’s condition to ensure all issues are being treated
- Keep accurate documentation of medication plans and patient progress
- Consult on dosages, medication substances, etc. and advise on the correct administration of drugs.
- Contribute to the development and execution of the Pharmacy department’s short to mid-term plans to ensure alignment with the Allied Health’s strategic priorities and contribute to the development of annual business plans for the assigned areas of responsibility to support the achievement of financial objectives.
- Monitor, control, and report key performance indicators related to the department, to track performance and recommend corrective actions.
- Manage the performance management, career progression and activities of direct reports by setting annual objectives, identifying training opportunities, mentoring, coaching, and providing constructive feedback to improve their performance.
- Contribute with ideas that support an efficient and effective structure and resource allocation for the department, to ensure smooth workflow of operational processes and optimal utilization of resources.
- Provide input into the development and implementation of the pharmacy department’s policies, systems, processes, and procedures, identifying potential areas of improvement, to support an efficient and effective operation.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant HSE&E and QM policies, procedures, and controls across the pharmacy department to guarantee employee safety, legislative compliance, delivery of high-quality service standards and a responsible environmental attitude
Graduate degree in Pharmacy/Pharmacology (Essential) | Postgraduate degree in Clinical Pharmacy/ Pharmacology (Essential)
English – Fluent (Required) | Arabic – Fluent (Preferred)
Minimum 6 years of experience in Pharmacy(required)
Minimum 3 years of experience as a Clinical Pharmacist in a Hospital setting (required)
Minimum 2 years in GCC (preferred)