About the job
- Attends shift reports daily from the outgoing supervisor, noting staffing and status of patient.
- Makes rounds at the beginning of the shift, evaluating critical and problem areas, acquiring informations, to liaise with concern to ensure safe and cost effective nursing care round the clock.
- Assumes responsibility of resolving issues brought to her attention by the nursing staff appropriately and in consultation with CON or MD as required.
- Is available during crisis situation in the unit, guiding and supporting the staff on duty.
- Participates in implementing departmental policies and procedures.
- Maintains a safe comfortable and congenial environment in her/his shift.
- Encouraging, adherence to set a standard and promoting cooperation with other departments.
- Recognises legal implications and responsibilities in the practice of nursing.
- Gives feedback to Nursing Head the performance of nursing and support staff for further guidance and counselling as required.
- Response to requests from nursing, physicians and patients without delay
- Maintains census and other shift statistics as directed
- Accurately and concisely maintains shift report inclusive of issues, solutions and other areas that needs attention of Nursing Manager.
- Determine the needs of re-allocations of personal and materials resources of the unit for smooth functioning during their shifts.
- Develop and participates in various professional activities e.g.staff education and meeting etc.)
- Identifies areas that requires staff development initiatives based on her/his observations
- Does incidental teaching for the individual or unit based depending on the requirement
- Participates in educational offering to ensure on-going clinical and interpersonal competency