About the job
Department: NUQ Research
The position reports to the Senior Associate Dean and provides administrative leadership and problem-solving to support Northwestern Qatar’s (NU-Q) research mission. Primary responsibilities include developing creative solutions to manage the expectations of and compliance with, the institutions NU-Q researchers are accountable to. Recommends and enforces policies and procedures associated with the research process to increase productivity and effectiveness.
This position requires cultural competencies to work in both Middle Eastern and Western contexts, to excel at intercultural communication, to be skilled at handling communication and relationships with our U.S.-based home campus, and to exhibit diplomacy in communicating with both internal and external stakeholders.The position oversees the administration of all grants and research contracts. They involve multiple years, venues, collaborators, subcontractors, etc.
The position ensures fulfillment of all requirements and compliance with rules and regulations. An important task is to develop and implement business systems to manage efficient pre- and post-award requirements.The position, under the direction of the Dean and Senior Associate Dean, assists faculty in developing strategic plans regarding funding opportunities, research initiatives, collaborations and projects to increase and improve NU-Q’s research output. The position provides the faculty with expertise and advance problem-solving for grant and/or contract administration including interpreting clauses, reviewing contracts, and resolving issues pertaining to reporting and/or expenses.
Build a Research Culture At Northwestern Qatar
- Supports research strategic and creative scholarship goals of NU-Q regarding the research activities of faculty and staff;
- Provides mentoring to NU-Q students participating in research activities;
- Organizes the Research Colloquia and Workshops throughout the academic year;
- Pursues new external funding opportunities and establish new research collaborations and partnerships, both within Qatar and outside Qatar;
- Engages in strategic three-year research planning with individual faculty members.
- A master’s degree
- 3-5 years of research administration in a research-intensive higher education institution or research organization
- Organization, time management, detail-oriented
- Multi-tasking, communication
- Self-starter, diplomatic, pro-active, manage stress
- Managing people