About the job
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood has an opportunity for a Piping Engineer to join our team in Qatar on a short term based conract of 3-4 months. This is a key role within the Wood Doha office delivering across EPC, PMC , FEED , Pre-FEED, Concept and Feasibility scopes of work. In this role, you will be responsible for the execution of project work in accordance with the project execution plan, including Wood and/or Project Procedures on Safety and Quality Control within the man-hour, cost and the project schedule targets.
Reflecting the market focus for the office in both brownfield and green field opportunities, multi-skilled personnel are sought, in particular those with experience in:
- Onshore Oil and Gas
- Offshore Oil and Gas
- Ensure s Wood and Client Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality procedures are followed and that a high standard of safety is achieved in all associated work
- Produces and reviews piping deliverables with little input or guidance from the Lead Engineer , ensuring accuracy and alignment with the scope of work prior to issue . Such deliverables may includ e but are not limited to the following:
- Piping design basis, piping material specifications, piping line list, interface schedule, val v e list, special items list, support schedule, wall thickness calculations, sizing calculation s , stress analysis report, etc.
- Preparation and development of enquiry packages including Specifications, Datasheets, Request for Quotation and Technical Bid Evaluation relating to piping materials .
- Provide direction and guidance to designers in production of the 3D model and piping drawings such as plot plans, line shoots, general arrangement drawings, isometrics, tie-in details, etc.
- Develop specification and prepare material requisitions for piping material
- Supports development and provides pip ing input to P&IDs , equipment datasheets, civil and structural design.
- Review Vendors’ quotations prepare technical quotation evaluation and recommend the final technically acceptable Vendor, in conjunction with Materials Management Department commercial quotation evaluation. Technically approve Order Variation Summaries
- Hold s co-ordination meetings and engineering review meetings with Vendors as required
- Prepares and develops material take off for the piping discipline
- Assist in performing managerial tasks as requested, such as assigning tasks to engineers; planning and coordinating portions of the engineering work; preparing scopes, schedules, and budgets; attending project meetings; and developing lesser-experienced technical professional s
- May serve as the Lead Engineer and/or discipline technical authority when required on small to medium complexity projects. In such capacity will take responsibility and ownership for cost, schedule, resource allocation and risk.
- Provide piping input to tenders and project estimates in the development of method statements, deliverable lists, manhours, CTRs and risk take
- May supervise a small work group consisting of engineers and designers with some coaching from Lead Engineer , or may provide advice and guidance in area of speciali s ation to other s
- Takes responsibility and ownership for challenging piping engineering tasks and capable of delivering scope for an area on large and /or complex projects
- Participates in project reviews, design reviews, audits and other workshops as required
- Takes a leading role in plot plan and 3D model reviews for scopes under their area of responsibility
- Completion of site surveys and data gathering for brownfield scope of work, taking responsibility for development of the site survey report
- Assess progress and procedure associated reports and input to the progress measurement system. Derive and suggest plans to recover slippage, correct inefficiency and to take any resulting agreed actions
- Remain up to date with the latest technical developments in your fields of expertise
- Take s a proactive approach to personal & professional development
Skills / Qualifications / Experience
Skills / Qualifications
- Engineering Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum of 8-12 years of relevant experience
- It is preferable for the candidate to be e nrolled on the Register of Engineers in the State of Qatar, Grad e A or B Category or have a Chartered Engineer membership
- Familiar in key piping competencies, including Piping Design/Routing, Plant Layout, Stress Analysis and Piping Materials for the Oil & Gas sector. An expert in the field of one or more of these competencies.
- Well versed in the development of plant layout in both onshore and offshore environments, having a good understanding of design fundamentals and criteria relating to process flow, safety spacing, access/egress, operations and maintenance.
- Knowledgeable in the design and selection of pipe supports and equipment connections for both onshore and offshore facilities.
- Experienced with Piping 2D and 3D design tools such as Hexagon SP3D, Aveva E3D, Bentley AutoPlant , AutoCAD, Microstation , etc.
- Familiar with piping stress analysis tools such as Caesar II, capable of interpretating the stress analysis report in development of the piping design
- Must have good working knowledge of plot plan and 3D model reviews, having participated in such reviews for both onshore and offshore facilities.
- Familiar with Flow and Acoustic induced vibration studies, along with the impact to piping design.
- Familiar with and experience in the application of international design codes and standards such as BS, API, ASME B31.3 and B31.8
- Ideally has experience with Qatar O&G customer design standards including Shell DEPs
- Experience with management of vendors, able to complete Technical Bid Evaluations and oversee development of vendor scope
- Construction and site experience is desirable, with exposure the resolution of piping design and support issues.
- A self-motivated, proactive individual with high achievement drive and initiative, excellent verbal and written communication skills and good organisational awareness
- Ability to impact and influence fellow workers
- Display analytical and innovation skills to manage new technology