About the job
To ensure that mechanical design integrity is not compromised while managing the mechanical engineering department in the execution of the project.
- Overall supervision of the mechanical team.
- Technical competence of Mechanical engineering personnel.
- Technical competency in rotating and static equipment.
- Forecast requirement for Mechanical engineering resources and allocate those resources.
- Mechanical design integrity of workscope and maintenance of standards.
- Identify instrument/electrical software necessary to enable mechanical group to function effectively.
- Aware of latest technology including the latest mechanical tool and software.
- Inter discipline communication development.
- Mechanical group communication development.
- Prepare mechanical manhour estimate to perform project tasks.
- Check compliance with Alliance QA/safety/environment goals.
- Promote Alliance culture in instrument/electrical engineering group.
- Manage mechanical design and any design changes within budget and schedule.
- Evaluate new technology advancements against existing design standards and revise where applicable.
- Promote cost reduction and productivity enhancing initiatives.
- Promote career development within the group.
- Identify and review new technology development which could be applicable in providing more cost effective facilities.
- Technical supervision of project designated mechanical engineers in the execution of their duty.
- Prepare weekly mechanical progress and expenditure reports on a project specific basis.
- Benchmark mechanical design and identify areas of improvement.
- Mentoring the mechanical engineers in the department.
- Multi discipline technical coordination and interaction.
- Consistently completes work within budgeted hours.
- Proactive in transferring skills and sharing knowledge.
- Competently prepares proposals and reports.
- Contributes to technology selection studies, process simplification, customized stantards, value engineering constructability review, 3D CAD review and cost estimates.
- Quality Assurance – Responsible for working within the provisions and guidelines of the Quality Assurance system relevant to the BU, etc
- Safety – Responsible for personal safety safe working practices for the BU, etc. Understand and follow OH&S procedures.
- Experience with the development of layouts for new facilities
- Experienced in the specification, evaluation and documentation of equipment.
- Work is performed in accordance with broad technical guidelines and with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and prioritisation of work to achieve them.
- Vast experience with design of pumps, compressors and process equipment. (Experience in tubines will be an asset).
- Experience in brown fields & asset services type project / contracts.
- Experience with interface between MTOs and procurement system.
- Experience with tender package preparation.
- Experience in Installation, Construction and Commissioning.
- Understand key equipment fabrication and maintenance requirements.
- Experience in process plant layout.
Industry Specific Experience
- Extensive work experience at a senior level within the Oil & Gas industry.
- Minimum 15 years design experience within the oil and gas industry, with last 5 years’ at least, leading a team of mechanical discipline engineers and designers
- Extensive technical, practical and leadership experience in the mechanical discipline in the same or similar
- industry, including experience managing and leading multi-disciplinary projects and teams.
Education – Qualifications, Accreditation, Training
- Full-Time Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university
- MME (Ministry of Municipality and Environment) engineering accreditation is a mandatory requirement. Candidates not holding this accreditation must be willing to achieve this within the probationary period.
- Chartered Professional Engineer (CPEng) status or undertaking the same will be an advantage
- Able to work in diverse team
- Able to make difficult decisions and lead and manage others in changing business conditions.
- Highly effective people management skills such as leadership, team, interpersonal, coaching, mentoring and supervisory skills. Must be able to build, motivate, develop and manage an effective team.
- Highly effective management skills including the ability to plan, set goals; and manage time, priorities, resources, accountabilities, schedules and cost.
- Understands Worley Vision and purpose, translates it into team goals and objectives, and gains team commitment to achieving those goals and objectives.
- Effectively manages and resolves conflict between individuals and/or groups.
- Negotiates successful outcomes that achieve the required objectives and have the support and acceptance of all parties.