About the job
Scope: MYP Years 1-3 / Middle School (Grades 6-8), Member of Middle School Leadership Team (MSLT)
Reporting to: Head of Middle School/ Director of Learning, Analytics and Innovation
To support the continued development of our IB Middle Years (MYP) curriculum in the Middle School, we are seeking a IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) Coordinator Year 1-3.
The IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) Coordinator Year 1-3 will promote innovation, inclusive practices, and interdisciplinary learning and will guide the Middle School Staff in the planning, assessment and implementation of the curriculum which is both contextually relevant and developmentally appropriate for our middle school learners.
The successful candidate should possess excellent leadership experience and skills and should have a diverse range of attributes, attitudes and competencies. He/she should be an inspirational, passionate and adaptable educator and a caring, creative and innovative leader. He/She should be an outstanding motivator, learner, administrator and communicator, with excellent interpersonal skills, and should be capable of leading learning and development, and preparing students for a modern global society, through a caring, stimulating, challenging, well-organised and supportive learning environment.
He/She should be able to provide leadership to ensure improved professional learning for staff and outstanding learning and achievement for IB MYP school students.
- Preferred experience as an IB programme coordinator, member of IBEN (workshop leader, evaluation or programme leader) or IB Educators Certificate
- Preferred Master’s Degree in educational leadership, curriculum and instruction or similar fields is preferred
- Minimum five years of teaching and experience
- Experience serving as subject or grade level coordinator, IB projects coordinator, assistant principal, or related role in an IB MYP school
Knowledge, Skills, and Dispositions. S/he should:
- model the behaviours and values promoted by ISL Qatar and act as a role model for colleagues and students and foster a positive learning environment by promoting the IB learner profile attributes and principles throughout the school.
- possess excellent communication skills and be willing to adapt to the demands of an international school, in particular he/she should be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing in English
- have a willingness and desire to embrace new challenges and opportunities and to champion innovative risk-taking within the Middle School.
- be able lead through a culture of collaboration and belonging
- have the ability to manage a diverse and demanding workload
- have the ability to both inspire growth and provide appropriate support for Middle School Teachers.
- have a high level of understanding of current research as to how Middle School-aged children learn and possess the ability to motivate colleagues and students to perform at their best
- be accomplished in the delivery of relevant International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (MYP) and provide appropriate curriculum support to Middle School Teachers. * be passionate about and accomplished in developing and promoting interdisciplinary learning. have a high level of awareness of current developments and research findings in the field of education.
- be experience in teaching or coordinating an IB MYP programme, demonstrating a comprehensive understanding of the IB and its philosophy.
- have strong leadership and organizational skills, with the ability to motivate and guide a diverse group of educators.
- have excellent communication and interpersonal abilities to work collaboratively with staff, students, parents, and external IB representatives.
- be proficient in data analysis and assessment techniques to drive improvements in the MYP programme
- have a passion for international education and a commitment to fostering a stimulating and inclusive learning environment.
- Serve as a classroom teacher in one or more subject areas while carrying out all responsibilities outlined in the Teaching job description or faculty handbook, dedicating a minimum of 50% of the time to programme coordination.
- Be an integral member of the Middle School Leadership Team, contributing to a culture of collaboration, overseeing day-to-day operations of the IB MYP programme, such as the timetable, duties, admissions, parent meetings, routine communications, and more.
- Ensure adherence to IB standards, practices, and assessment procedures, managing both internal and external assessments.
- Champion inclusive classroom environments by implementing research-based methods that cater to all learners, irrespective of their cultural background or academic readiness.
- Coordinate and conduct regular training sessions, workshops, and professional development for staff on MYP methodologies, assessment strategies, and IB guidelines, including mentoring new staff and leading internal workshops for induction.
- Gather and distribute all IB MYP-related information throughout the school, ensuring all involved parties have access to relevant IB MYP publications.
- Lead the continuous development and implementation of the IB MYP curriculum across the school, working with Subject Team Leads and the Director of Learning, Analytics, and Innovation to create a cohesive curriculum, fostering interdisciplinary connections and consistency across different year levels.
- Collaborate with various coordinators, such as the HS MYP, DP, and PYP Coordinators, as well as the Director of Learning, Analytics, and Innovation, to ensure alignment across the curriculum, whole school evaluations, and accreditation, and participate in school-wide initiatives.
- Collaborate with Subject Leads and Middle School teachers to develop interdisciplinary units (IDUs) and subject overviews. * Collaborate with the Service as Action/Eco Schools Coordinator to ensure compliance with Service as Action requirements and incorporate links to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) within units.
- Provide teachers with opportunities to design, develop, implement, and review the MYP curricula, particularly focusing on collaborative units for MYP students.
- Oversee the assessment and evaluation processes, including designing, developing, implementing, and reviewing assessment procedures, moderating assessments, and maintaining grade records.
- Monitor student progress, maintain regular contact with parents, organize parent consultations, three-way conferences, and student-led conferences.
- Support a smooth transition for new students and those transitioning between Primary School/Middle School and Middle School/High School.
- Lead the Grade 8 (Year 3) MYP Community Project.
- Collaborate with school leadership and administration to allocate resources necessary for the successful implementation of the MYP programme.
- Engage in consistent communication with stakeholders, providing updates on programme progress and addressing concerns or queries effectively.