About the job
Application deadline: 23 November 2023
Scope: MYP Years 1-3 / Middle School (Grades 6-8)
Reporting to:Head of Middle School
To support the continued development of our IB Middle Years (MYP) curriculum in the Middle School, we are seeking a Subject Lead for an Integrated Math & Science (STEM) Middle School Team. As a new role in our school, the Subject Lead will promote innovation, inclusive practices, and interdisciplinary learning and will guide the team’s implementation of an integrated curriculum which is both contextually relevant and developmentally appropriate for our middle school learners.
To fulfill this role effectively, the Subject Lead will need to have a range of qualities, competencies and experience. The Subject Lead for MS Integrated Math & Science (STEM) should be an inspirational, passionate and adaptable educator and a creative and innovative curriculum leader. He/She should be an outstanding motivator, learner, leader, and communicator with excellent interpersonal skills. They should be capable of leading an area of learning and preparing students for international programmes in a stimulating, challenging and well-organised learning environment. He/She should be able to provide professional leadership for colleagues to secure high-quality teaching and learning, make effective use of resources, and ensure improved standards of achievement for all students.
Knowledge, Skills, and Dispositions. He/She should:
- model the behaviours and values promoted by ISL Qatar and act as a role model for colleagues and students
- possess excellent communication skills and be willing to adapt to the demands of an international school, in particular he/she should be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing in English
- have a willingness and desire to embrace new challenges and opportunities and to champion innovative risk-taking within the Middle School.
- be able lead through a culture of collaboration and belonging
- have the ability to manage a diverse and demanding workload
- have the ability to both inspire growth and provide appropriate support for subject team members.
- have a high level of understanding of current research as to how Middle School-aged children learn and possess the ability to motivate colleagues and students to perform at their best
- be accomplished in the delivery of relevant International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (MYP) courses, in particular Math and Science, and provide appropriate curriculum support to subject team members.
- be passionate about and accomplished in developing and promoting interdisciplinary learning.
- have a high level of awareness of current developments and research findings in the field of education.
- To serve as a classroom teacher in one or more subject areas and execute all the required responsibilities of a MS teacher, as outlined in the Teaching job description and/or faculty handbook.
- To establish a newly-focused team, with an emphasis on creating and implementing a developmentally relevant Integrated Math and Science (STEM) curriculum.
- To coordinate, and deliver effectively, the teaching and learning within the Middle School Integrated Math and Science (STEM) subject area in MYP years 1-3.
- To collaborate with the MS MYP Coordinator, the Director of Learning, Analytics, and Innovation, and subject team members to design, develop, implement and review the MS Integrated Math and Science (STEM) curriculum.
- To collaborate with other Subject Leads across both Primary and High School for the purpose of vertical curriculum alignment.
- To collaborate with other Subject Leads and other teachers within the Middle School on the development of interdisciplinary units (IDUs).
- To promote and inspire the creation of inclusive classroom learning environments which utilize research-based methods that meet the needs of all learners regardless of their cultural background and academic readiness.
- To design, develop, implement and review policy documents and strategic plans.
- To lead the design, development, implementation and review of assessment procedures for team members.
- To manage the subject budget and resources.
- To lead the development of a positive attitude towards their subject in the school and wider community through, cooperative relations, publications, competitions etc.
- To hold regular, collaborative team meetings, set and communicate agenda items, and document the outcomes/minutes of these meetings using the common agenda template.
- To collect and disseminate all information relating to their subject throughout the school.
- To liaise with the Head of Middle School in matters concerning staffing and timetable.
- To enhance the professional standing of the teaching body.