About the job
Scope: MYP Years 1-3 / Middle School (Grades 6-8)
Reporting to: Head of Middle School
In order to fill this role effectively, the successful candidate will need to have a diverse range of qualities, competencies and experience. A Middle School IB MYP Integrated English and Individuals and Societies teacher should be an adaptable and inspiring educator, with the ability to deliver a coherent, integrated, broad, inquiry-based programme. He/She should be an outstanding teacher, learner, motivator and communicator, with excellent interpersonal skills, and should be capable of preparing students for international programmes in a stimulating, challenging and well-organised learning environment. He/She should be able to provide professional expertise, high quality teaching and learning, make effective use of resources and ensure improved standards of learning and achievement for all students.
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in education or equivalent
- Qualified teacher status appropriate to the teaching duties to be undertaken
- Experience of, and/or recent training in IB MYP English and INSO
Knowledge and Skills. He/She should:
- be aligned with the ISL values of diversity, passion, identity and understanding
- possess excellent communication skills and be willing to adapt to the demands of an international school, in particular, he/she should be able to communicate effectively in English
- have a high level of understanding of current research as to how children learn and possess the ability to motivate students to perform at their best
- through differentiated instruction, and by using a variety of styles, be able to inspire mixed culture and ability classes, by creating challenging and engaging learning opportunities for all students
- be able to support student needs in learning and pastoral matters
- be aware of the principles of Conceptual Learning and Assessment for Learning
- be adept and accomplished at teaching IB MYP English and INSO to students age 6-8 years
- be able to participate fully in an expanding IB school and, in particular, help to develop the team spirit within the specific subject area
- have the ability to manage a diverse and demanding workload
- Implement MYP policy and strategic plans.
- Collaborate with the Head of Middle School and the MYP Coordinators to ensure effective curriculum delivery, including resource selection and management.
- Participate in the design, development, implementation, and review of the MYP curriculum.
- Contribute to the design, development, implementation, and review of assessment and reporting systems.
- Promote the health and safety of middle school classes.
- Engage in professional development and contribute to regular staff training and meetings.
- Foster a sense of team spirit in the middle school and build connections with colleagues across the school.
- Contribute to community service and global citizenship goals.
- Participate in the extra-curricular activities program of the school.
- Promote a positive attitude between the middle school and the wider community through cooperative relations, publications, competitions, and other initiatives.
- Enhance the professional standing of the teaching body.
- Participate in the ongoing development of the MYP, addressing matters from the authorization report.
- Use technology to support middle school learning, especially through the use of a Virtual Learning Environment (e.g., ManageBac, Microsoft Teams, etc.).
- Support the school in meeting its program obligations for NEASC and the IB.
- Contribute to the development of Assessment for Learning (AFL) and Understanding by Design (UBD) within the middle school.