About the job
The incumbent will be responsible for assisting in protecting the Group’s interests against contractual risk, legislative risk and intellectual property risk. The incumbent will assume responsibility for providing sound legal advice across the Group. The incumbent will also identify the implications arising from potential and existing contractual commitments and will adopt a pro-active role to highlight and mitigate potential problems, being prepared for all eventualities.
- Contribute to the review and revision of the existing policies and procedures for the local and international operations to ensure these reflect changes in relevant laws/ regulations.
- Contribute to the review of the Group’s positions with regard to local and international laws and regulations.
- Supervise legal staff in Legal Advisory in providing well-researched legal advice to all departments within the Group on matters relating to Group’s transactions where applicable laws, regulations or facts are unclear and conflicting to ensure the Group’s legal position is protected.
- Provide legal opinion and advice on new activities and products and complex transactions.
- Provide support on business lines so that they can exercise their activities while maintaining risks and legal costs.
- Obtain Group General Counsel and the relevant Credit/Business Units approval for standard documentation forms/ templates and also for documentation where standard documentation is not available, or where deviations from standard documentation are required.
- Contribute to the preparation of the weekly, quarterly and annual returns for executive management on the activities of the Legal Department.
- Act within the limits of the powers delegated to the incumbent and delegate authority to the respective departmental/ unit heads and monitor the exercise of the same.
- University Degree in law from a recognized university.
- Admission to the professional bar, law society or attorney association of a recognized jurisdiction is required
- At least 10 years legal experience in the legal profession with at least 2 years’ experience either (a) in a senior role in the legal advisory section of a major bank / FSI/Corporate or (b) as a practising lawyer in the banking/corporate practice of a recognized international law firm.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (including report writing) in English and Arabic .
- Good interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Understanding of the relevant laws, regulations, and practices.
- Ability to make decisions and follow through with initiatives.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to communicate both verbally and in writing with all levels of management.
- Superior knowledge of international and local commercial and corporate laws and legislations of the financial sector.
- Thorough competence in several legal areas of concentration, with maturity and sound judgement.
- Self-motivated, eye for detail.