About the job
- Conceive and coordinate research for works in the collection and ensure that collection data is complete.
- Work in tandem with the collections team concerning out-going loans, conservation review, and the needs of other traveling collection exhibitions and collection presentations
- Advise management on the collection development plan; analyses and recommend acquisitions and deaccessioning of objects
- Assist LM Director and involved architects with the design, organization, and management of the museum’s building currently in development
- Assist with the preparation of an exhibition plan for the permanent collection for the new museum
- Conceptualize rotating displays for objects in care under the general theme of ‘mapping’
- Work closely with the interpretation team, consultants, and designers to develop a detailed interpretation plan, as a manual for museography design development
- Prepare interpretation tools of collection for a variety of audiences in written and oral format; contribute to content development for releases and promotional packages
- Create interpretive copy in the form of labels, gallery guides, catalogues, and brochures
- Supervise catalogues, records and documents related to collections and establish policies and procedures for access and use of collections
- Work as part of a team developing permanent and temporary exhibition themes, objectives scope and ideas
- Work with collections team to oversee the retrieval and preparation of paintings for display
- Research content, develop concepts and interactive elements
- Work closely with QM stakeholders to develop standards and policies
- Mentor junior colleagues in curatorial methodologies relating to exhibition planning and implementation
- Build and maintain key curatorial relationships regionally, nationally, and internationally with Museums, Academic entities and relevant peers that benefit Museum’s reputation and program
- Work in collaboration with appropriate museum staff to assist with the preparation of an annual departmental budget
- Ensure the timely execution of all exhibitions and assist in ensuring the timely production of exhibition related publications, along with adherence to project and departmental budgets
- Ability to compellingly speak and write about art to and for a broad audience, as well as a scholarly one.
- Play a lead role in long-range institutional planning efforts, such as establishing programmatic and collection development priorities, public outreach activities, conservation planning, and strategic planning
- Conduct talks/seminars with the media and community to promote the museum’s collection and programs
- Contribute to the continued development of the museum’s critical integrity and public profile by publishing scholarly articles or participating in academic conferences wherein original research is presented
- Create positive perceptions of QM in developing, promoting, and sustaining museums, art and heritage at the highest global standards for community engagement, education, and enjoyment in Qatar
Education and Certification Requirements:
Master’s/PhD Degree preferred in Art History, Cultural Studies, or a related field.
Minimum of 6 years of relevant experience in a similar role in a museum or related educational/research organization.