About the job
About The Role
This is an exciting time to be part of GEMS Wellington School – Qatar (WSQ). Due to the continued growth, success and ambitious nature of the school we are delighted to be looking for a dynamic, hard-working and talented individual to join our aspirational Executive Leadership Team as Head of Secondary.
WSQ is one of the leading British curriculum schools in Qatar and part of the Premium GEMS Wellington brand. We firmly believe, as a true inclusive school, that every child can achieve, reinforced by our commitment to the High Performance Learning philosophy. As a community, we have very high expectations for all with a clear emphasis on personal values, proactive attitudes and positive behaviours. We believe in excellence in all we do.
The Head of Secondary will support the Principal/CEO by contributing to and implementing the educational strategy of the secondary school through visionary and inclusive leadership. They will report directly to the whole school Vice Principal and will lead the day-to-day operations of the secondary school overseeing all aspects relating to curriculum, teaching and learning and the pastoral welfare of the students.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Supporting the Principal / Vice Principal in the effective and efficient leadership and management of the secondary school, including the successful implementation of the school improvement plan
- Ensuring the smooth and effective day-to-day operations of the secondary phase
- Overseeing the continued development of the secondary curriculum across all key stages
- Developing highly effective pastoral systems to ensure the overall personal and academic wellbeing of the students
- Ensuring high levels of student retention and being instrumental in all marketing activities to promote the school to the wider community
- Overseeing continued improvement in student progress and attainment through high quality teaching and learning and the successful implementation of High Performance Learning
- Ensuring the effective use of assessment strategies and data across the secondary school to inform quality teaching and learning, curriculum development, target setting and ensure students are reaching their academic potential
- Embedding highly effective strategies and opportunities for parental engagement, including regular, high-quality communication between home and school (Pulse)
The successful candidate will:
- Be a vocational and inspirational educator who supports an inclusive learning environment, with the ability to raise standards for all students
- Have had successful experiences of leading and managing staff resulting in improved learning and student outcomes
- Be knowledgeable and confident of the recent developments relating to GCSE and A Level qualifications and other relevant external pathways
- Have extremely high standards and expectations for all, with excellence as the primary goal
- Be strategic and considered in their actions, with a proven track record in school improvement and self-evaluation processes
- Be someone who is visible within the school community, with presence and exuding gravitas both in their appearance and actions
- Believe strongly in and fully support the wider extra-curricular life of the school to develop fully rounded students
- Be a team player and have the ability to maintain a sense of perspective and humour.