About the job
Conduct fire risk through prevention, protection and training to ensure adequate mitigation and code compliance for ongoing major / minor projects including facility modifications.
Job Context & Major Challenge(s) – I
- Addresses the dynamic complexities of Qatargas expansion where decision windows is narrow to identify actions that yield the best results.
- Has a degree of freedom in the execution of his function, with events and activities driving performance.
Key Job Accountabilities – I
- Performs review of fire protection drawings for conformance with model and local codes, as well as NFPA and interfaces to ensure appropriate fire protection systems are applied to projects and modifications.
- Reviews and confirms the fire protection product specifications, fire safety studies and participate in risk assessment to ensure the appropriate level of protection against fire and explosion hazards which are appropriate and may impact on the level of emergency response and operational requirements of a facility i.e. type and amount of equipment, location of equipment, coverage, operating modes, means of isolation, redundancy etc.
- Reviews and advises amendments to fire protection procedures based on regulatory changes, technological changes, or lessons learned from previous projects or facility modifications to enhance the current systems & practices.
- Prepares Fire Protection Reports, discusses list of deficiencies / discrepancies with section head and closely monitors corrective actions towards its closure to ensure full compliance.
- Ensures communication plan with stakeholders to cascade fire Safety strategies into the plans to ensure alignment and integration including conducting trainings on fire protection equipment and system to relevant stakeholders.
Key Job Accountabilities – II
- Ensures buildings and facilities are inspected, complied with relevant fire safety policies & procedures and Codes & Standards; and administers the relevant data & records and close out actions aimed at reducing incident.
- Coordinates and participates in acceptance testing and inspection of fire systems, prepares technical reports of fire code violations observed / punch list items for each tested system.
- Develops the Inspection & Testing program for fixed & portable firefighting equipment for the facilities assigned to ensure integrity and readiness of firefighting equipment and initiates new systems integration into ITM program post final acceptance, to ensure compliance.
- Researches codes, as well as nationally recognized standards to assist in the development of alternate methods of code compliance
- Assists the Head of Fire Protection & Prevention in the process of planning and preparation of the budget and objective setting of the section to ensure accurate budgeting and objective setting.
- Bachelor’s degree in Science or Engineering (chemical, fire protection, mechanical, electrical, civil, etc.) from accredited college or university.
- Completion of associated / relevant qualifications from a recognized institute (Fire Inspector, Advanced HSE Advisor and Fire Investigation) and/or Professional fire protection accreditation or License.
Knowledge and/or Experience – I
- 8 years’ experience in design, installation, testing and maintenance of all types of fire protection systems including at least 3 experience in large scale projects.
- Knowledge of the current national and international legislation related to Fire Protection.
- Experience in analysing engineering project packages and technical drawings.