About the job
Key Accountabilities & Activities:
- Ability to proactively anticipate difficulties and resolve potential problems before they arise (e.g. drug shortages)
- Plan, organise and prioritise workload
- Interacts with management, department and affiliate personnel, physicians, vendors and other suppliers efficiently
- Negotiates pricing for non-contract covered
- Establishes inventory and par levels for medications
- Assists in Formulary and par level revisions yearly
- Performs high quality clinical evaluation of proposed products
- Consistently meets established departmental KPIs in support of efficient and effective procurement transactions.
- Setup new accounts with pharmaceutical wholesalers
- Coordinates the direct shipment program with wholesalers
- Establishes annual vaccine pre-booking orders in a timely manner
- Reviews budgeted expense for drugs and ensures expenditure doesn’t exceed annual budget.
- Reports budget over expenditure to Director on a timely manner.
- Responds to questions placed no later than 1 business day of request
- Monitors and communicates back-orders in a timely manner to the end-user and assists with sourcing alternate products if necessary
- Can communicate and educate end-users regarding procurement policies, procedures, and processes including nonformulary medication
- Manages work schedule efficiently, completing task and assignments on time
- When required, goes in person to customs or other hospitals to receive medications
- Ensures safe transportation and storage of medications
- Reports any new medication related issues to manager/Director including new storage, preparation, compounding or administration requirements.
- Communicates proactively any medications’ issues including drug shortages, recalls, etc and follow up closely.
- Responds to recalls in a timely manner
- Actively participates in the identification and management of medication shortages
- Drafts memos for importation of medications under the supervision of manager/Director
- Updates pricing of medications regularly
- Ensures pricing of medications doesn’t exceed pricing limits identified by MOPH
- Procurement of non-stock items and consumables
- Contributes to opportunities and processes for continuous improvement
- Streamline and standardize work processes
- Review, evaluate and establish purchasing techniques and procedures to enhance efficiency and effectiveness
- Negotiates purchases/contracts for pharmaceuticals
- Analyzes new and existing agreements for greater cost savings
- Assists manager in plans for medication management (e.g. utilisation of near expiry and slow moving medications)
- Lisases with Manager/IT pharmacist in optimizing supply chain systems.
- Ensures proper barcoding of medications when applicable
- Liaises with NSMP/events/others with procurement
- Supervises procurement technician
Education and Certification requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in pharmacy
Necessary knowledge and Experience to be able to do the job:
- 4-6 years of related experience of which a minimum of 2 years should be in a similar position/responsibility, preferably in a similar Industry.
Skills and Abilities:
- Negotiation skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and report efficiently
- Strong leadership and influencing skills
- Proficient computer skills