About the job
Key Accountabilities & Activities:
- Provides clinical Pharmacy services to patients/athletes in order to ensure safe, clinically effective and cost-efficient use of drugs.
- Provision of medicines information to clinical staff and patients/athletes.
- Works collaboratively with other Healthcare professionals to devise the most appropriate drug selection.
- Ensures medications are stored appropriately and securely.
- Ensures medication reaches the patients in the correct form and dose.
- Informs the physicians and suggests alternatives for unavailable drugs
- Actively participates in patient care rounds with other members of the Healthcare team
- Assists Medical staff with the selection of drug therapy and patient monitoring.
- Reviews and interprets medication orders for clarity, accuracy, rationality, compatibility, feasibility, and suitability for the patient’s specific needs.
- Interprets Lab results and monitors patients professionally
- Documents individual pharmaceutical care plans, therapeutic recommendations and therapeutic interventions.
- Facilitates communication on patients’ medicines to ensure seamless pharmaceutical care across health and social services boundaries to ensure consistent standards of patient care.
- Promotes awareness of evidence-based prescribing and assists in establishing Aspetar formulary.
- Liaises with other Healthcare Professionals to coordinate Pharmacy activities and to assist in the resolution of interdepartmental problems. Ensures that Medical and Nursing staff are aware of assistance that can be given by the Pharmacy
- Medication history/Allergy checking when appropriate.
- Counsels patients on the use of their medicines.
- Acts as a primary contact point for ward staff in relation to Clinical Pharmacy issues.
- Liaises with ward staff and Pharmacy Technicians to maintain and update ward stock lists.
- Advises on safe and appropriate storage for drugs on the ward.
- Carries out Pharmacy and ward-controlled drug checks.
- Liaises with the IT department for the development of Pharmacy IT issues.
- Promotes and maintains quality in all services and ensures continuous quality improvement measures are in place.
Education and Certification Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in pharmacy
- Post Graduate Pharmacy Residency or Pharmacy Degree
- Master’s in Clinical Pharmacy or Doctor of Pharmacy
Necessary knowledge and Experience to be able to do the job:
- 6-8 years of related experience of which a minimum of 2-3 years should be in a similar position/responsibility, preferably in a similar Industry.
Skills and Abilities:
- Possessing skills in patient-specific pharmacotherapy plans to ensure optimal outcomes.
- Good communication skills
- Proficient in common computer applications
- Ability for search and retrieval of drug information.
- Ability to check and detect dispensing errors
- Reliable, dependable, Committed to self and service development and teamwork