About the job
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood has an opportunity for a Senior E&I Designer to join our team in Qatar on a staff basis. In this role, you are collaborating with a team of designers and engineers, where you will have the opportunity to be hands-on in supporting the group’s objectives across EPC, PMC, FEED, Pre-FEED, Concept and Feasibility scopes of work in the region. In this role, you will be responsible for the execution of project work in accordance with the project execution plan, including Wood and/or Project Procedures for Safety and Quality Control within the man-hour, cost and project schedule targets.
Reflecting the market focus for the office in both brownfield and green field opportunities, multi-skilled personnel are sought, in particular those with experience in:
- Onshore Oil and Gas
- Offshore Oil and Gas
- Adheres to Wood and Client Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality procedures are followed and that a high standard of safety is achieved in all associated work.
- Responsible for making sure their drawings and modelling adhere to Wood, Client, project, and/or all regulatory standards.
- Preparation and checking of all types of Electrical and/or Instrument design deliverables such as Cable Schedule, Block Diagrams, Single Line Diagrams, Schematics, Layout Drawings, Termination Diagrams, Schedules, Loop Diagrams, Hook-up Arrangements, Typical Installation Diagrams and other 2D and 3D deliverables relevant to the discipline
- It is preferable for the candidate to have experience in design for the Telecommunication and Technical-HSE, Fire and Gas detection for example
- Support engineers in preparation of MTOs
- Ensuring the quality, technical accuracy, and content of all project deliverables. Responsible for the self-checking attitude prior to issuing drawings for checking (run a clash check in the 3D model of the items or area shown on the drawing etc.).
- Review of vendor drawings for Equipment / Package items.
- Produce drawings in AutoCAD / Microstation and discipline-specific design and drafting services that meet the Project’s, and applicable statutory and regulatory, requirements.
- Interdisciplinary check of all Process / Civil / Structural / Piping / Mechanical / Electrical / Instrumentation drawings.
- To assist in coordinating activities with all other disciplines (as necessary) in the preparation and development of the engineering deliverables and ensuring that the other disciplines’ input is incorporated.
- Responsible for interfacing with other disciplines to resolve any clashes that may be arise. If the clash cannot be resolved easily or will be resolved later, then it should be noted down according to procedures.
- Plans assigned work effectively and obtains/provides information liaising with the project team and line manager, in time to control man-hours and achieve targets.
- Carrying out various 3D modelling activities as necessary on your appointed projects such as but not limited to E/I/T equipment, cable trays, Lighting fixtures, JB’s, etc.
- Maybe required to perform site surveys and data gathering exercises at various project locations, both onshore and offshore.
- To provide technical support to the site team during design, engineering, and construction.
- Participates in project reviews, design reviews, audits and other workshops as required.
- Remain up to date with the latest technical developments in fields of expertise.
- Takes a proactive approach to personal & professional development.
- Seeks and supports opportunities for department and project improvement, contributing to the development of solutions.
Skills / Qualifications
- Experienced with E&I 2D and 3D design tools such as Hexagon SP3D ( legacy PDS), SmartPlant Instrumentation (legacy Intools), Aveva E3D (legacy PDMS), Bentley AutoPlant, AutoCAD, Microstation, etc.
- Proficient in the use of MS Office (e.g., Excel, Word)
- Experience in FEED and Detailed Design is required
- Has experience with plot plans and 3D model reviews for onshore and offshore facilities.
- Experienced in preparation and coordination of Electrical and/or Instrument design deliverables for both onshore and offshore facilities.
- Familiar with the Aveva Engineering and SmartPlant Foundation suites for collaboration across disciplines
- Preferably the successful candidate will have experience with the electrical, instrumentation, Telecommunications and Technical-HSE disciplines for both onshore and offshore oil and gas facilities.
- Experienced in preparation of material take-offs
- Experience with Aveva Instruments, Aveva Electrical is desirable
- Has experience with Qatar Oil & Gas customer design standards including Shell DEPs and international design codes and standards
- A self-motivated, proactive individual with good verbal, and written communication skills and good organisational awareness
- Display analytical and innovation skills to manage new technology
- Knowledge of site-based project work involving field engineering and construction
Applicants are required to:
- Be available for work in Doha, Qatar
- HNC or equivalent qualification in Electrical Engineering or similar related field.
- Minimum of 10 years experience in the Oil and Gas Industry.
- Open attitude and willingness to learn and improve.
- Willing to be part of a team, but also have a flexible approach when required to work in small groups.
- Must be eligible and willing to make occasional site visits.
- Good at problem-solving, logical, and methodical.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong commitment to safety.
- Demonstrate a good level of written and spoken communication skills in the English language.
- Should also be able to work independently.
- Be willing and able to represent Wood in both onshore and offshore surveys, holding relevant certification or willing to undertake suitable training such as BOSIET and H2S Awareness.