About the job
The Manager of Documentaries is responsible for managing all aspects of the in-house productions; external commissions; co‐productions; acquisitions and reversions of content for their individual strand/series to the highest possible creative, editorial, professional and ethical standards.
The Person we are looking for will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Media, Communications or related field.
- Minimum 12 years experience in TV or related fields
- At least 5 years of directing & producing factual programmes of an appropriate type (documentaries, discussions or Magazines)
- Experience in directing and producing factual programmes.
- Proven editorial judgment and Ofcom‐related experience. ‐
- Building, managing and inspiring creative teams, whether staff, freelance or independent or a mixture.
- People management – exemplifying inclusive, collaborative, interpersonal skills.
- Create an editorial vision for strands or series which support the Channel’s and the Network’s programming strategy (to ensure geographical diversity and balance)
- Build and inspire teams to follow and contribute to this editorial vision.
- Plan the sourcing of all content for strands or series (in‐house production; commissioning; co‐production; and/or acquisition) and the staff and budget required.
- Manage the development of proposals for the content of all individual programmes in the strand and/or series in line with the editorial vision and sourcing plan from idea to broadcast.
- Deliver all programmes on time, within budget and in compliance with all relevant editorial, technical, legal and professional standards.
As a successful candidate, you will also have knowledge of:
- Wide, up-to-date knowledge of documentaries, discussions or magazine shows.
- Wide, current knowledge of the subjects covered by their series or strand.
- Knowledge of Ofcom regulations and legal liabilities for broadcasters and publishers.
- Understanding of the end-to-end process of TV broadcasting (essential) and online publishing (desirable) including scheduling, promotion and publicity.
- Understanding of social media.
- Full understanding and proven knowledge of rights compliance, territories as well as co-production agreements.