About the job
The Anesthesia Technologist assists the licensed anesthesia provider in the acquisition, preparation and application of equipment and supplies required for the administration of anesthesia.
Is committed to customer service and has the ability to meet the needs and expectations of healthcare colleagues and patients, adapts well and flexible to changing situations, and demonstrates effective communication and teamwork skills
Provides support in anesthesia for routine and complex surgical cases by preparing and maintaining patient monitoring devices and anesthesia delivery systems before, during and after anesthesia.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to assisting the licensed anesthesia provider in various settings, performing duties under the direct supervision of the licensed anesthesia provider, and providing support for routine surgical cases.
Identifies safety concerns in the age-related population and is able to institute protective measures to provide a safe environment.
- Provides assistance with invasive and non-invasive techniques (excluding the catheter insertion) which includes the following: direct systemic arterial, right arterial, central venous and pulmonary artery pressure measurements, patient monitoring and set up for anesthetic and respiratory gas, blood draw and placing EKG electrodes, blood pressure cuff and pulse oximetry on the patient.
- Assists the licensed anesthesia provider in difficult airway intubation by providing video laryngoscopy equipment and/or fiber optic intubation scope as requested. Knowledgeable in the techniques used in securing an open airway, e.g., jaw thrust, jaw lift or tongue hold.
- Executes the Malignant Hyperthermia protocol as it pertains to the preparation of the anesthesia machine.
- Awareness of appropriate procedure to properly respond to codes and initiate the proper procedures to assist the licensed anesthesia provider and OR staff.
- Maintains, stocks, cleans, and organizes anesthesia carts.
- Maintains medications within their expiration date and properly dispose of unused portions or remnants in appropriate containers.
- Appropriately sets up the room with all equipment and supplies needed for the implementing plan of care for each patient procedure. Controls and maintains all perioperative anesthesia equipment and devices. Handles equipment and instruments correctly to provide appropriate availability and safety.
- Responsible for cleaning, sterilizing, disinfecting, stocking, ordering, and maintaining routine anesthesia equipment and supplies.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Anesthesia Technology
- B. SC in Nursing plus a one-year Anesthesia Diploma from a recognized Anesthesia education institute / University OR
- Associates Degree or 2 years Diploma in Anesthesia technology
- Candidates with Bachelor’s degree in Anesthesia, 2 years experience
- Candidates with a Bachelor SC Nursing plus one-year diploma in Anesthesia, 3 years of post-graduation experience as an anesthesia technologist
- Candidates with 3 years Diploma in Anesthesia, 2 years post-graduation experience as Anesthesia Technologist
- Candidates with 2 year’s diploma in Anesthesia Technology a minimum of 4 years experience post qualification as an anesthesia technologist