About the job
NUQ Exhibition Space
EXS/6Northwestern Qatar (NU-Q) Gallery Registrar plans, organizes and implements all processes related to the organization of loans, exhibitions, packing and shipping, storage, insurance, and risk management, for all digital and physical exhibition content, including on- and off-site digitization, and all communication with lenders. This position will report to the Director Gallery for Media, Communications & Journalism, Qatar.
- Organize and oversee all exhibition loans, including initial outreach to protentional lenders (individuals, companies, organizations, museums, archives, etc.); loan negotiations and contracts; appropriate provenance research and investigation; appropriate copyright compliance and licensing agreements; shipping, transport, courier needs, customs; insurance and compliance with external policies; object care, onsite storage, exhibition display and de-installation; return of objects; and all associated paperwork and CMS-DAMS records in the museum’s master record retention system
- Coordinate and oversee digitization of objects in appropriate formats (onsite and offsite, local and international) with associated metadata, storage facilities, copyright clearances, and communication with lenders
- Conduct and coordinate all object care, including incoming and outgoing Condition Reports, environmental controls in exhibitions and storage facilities, monitoring and reporting during exhibitions, and organization of conservation if required
- Co-manager of museum CMS-DAMS system (Qi); staff training in system use; monitoring of other staffs work in system and their responsibilities within the system
- Coordinates licensing of images for exhibition publication; advises on use of digital or physical objects in exhibition materials including website, social media, press releases, and other NU-Q and Northwestern materials, coordinating licensing/license expansion as needed
- Coordinator of exhibition installation and de-installation (non-technology hardware), in collaboration with technology staff. Oversight of physical object install/de-install
- Other duties as needed and required, including but not limited to: receives and responds to all object, digital, collection, and loan inquiries from the public; renews museum professional memberships (yearly).
required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Masters in museum studies, curatorial studies, conservation, registrarial practice, or digital media in museums.
- Three plus year’s museum experience in a registrar’s office, collections management office, or similar.
- Experienced and high comfort level with the use of technology-based museum CMS-DAMS
- Experience with digital exhibition content
- Fluent in museum terminology and practice experience
- Experience in object handling and storage, transportation and shipping, copyright and licensing
- Exceptional teamwork and time management skills, familiarity and comfort with new technology
- Proactive in independent work, with a high level of discretion and confidentiality
- Ability to travel
Preferred knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Masters of Practice (MPrac) in museum studies, curatorial studies, conservation, or digital media in museums.
- Five-plus years of museum and exhibitions experience
- Experience or training with object digitization practices and protocols
- Fluently bilingual (Arabic and English), or abilities in Urdu, Tagalog, Hindi, or French
- Lived and worked in the region.
- Background, experience or training in one or more areas of journalism, communication or media
- Experience or training in remedial conservation and/or matting and mounting
- @ People Dynamics
- Doha, Qatar