About the job
Treasury Markets (TM) acts as guardian of the Group’s balance sheet and liquidity by driving asset liability management that is transparent, trusted and well respected. TM is the first line of defense responsible for managing the short-term liquidity position of the Bank.
The primary responsibility of the role is to efficiently ensure the prudential liquidity management of the balance sheet of the Qatar Branch of Standard Chartered Bank. Treasury Markets generally as well as the individual in this role specifically must:
- Position the balance sheet to meet all its obligations at all times;
- Meet all regulatory requirements;
- Raise and deploy liquidity efficiently;
- Diversify the funding base in a prudent manner;
- Pre-empt times of surplus and tight liquidity; and
- Support the business in their efforts to create assets and liabilities
The role also requires providing back-up for Head of TM and FM, as and when necessary, within the approved delegated authorities.
- Understand the inherited balance sheet, model the expected changes in the balance sheet forward, and be aware of the drivers of those changes
- Understand the risks inherent in imbalances in the balance sheet, both current and future, including liquidity, interest rate risk, currency mismatches, and cash requirements
- Access the market directly to drive efficiencies in the balance sheet, via the creation and elimination of assets and liabilities
- Access the market indirectly via trading desks to drive efficiencies in the balance sheet via swaps, hedges, switches, and repos T-M Principles are:
- Always act in the best interest of the Bank
- Never Compromise the structural integrity of the balance sheet.
- Maintain strong relationships and a broad understanding of the activities of those businesses that have material impacts on the balance sheet.
- Ensure these relationships are mutually beneficial and that the Bank as a whole is providing “first-inclass” client service while ensuring the proper pricing and profitability attributions that protect stakeholders.
- Display and possess senior banker connectivity with external banker/Treasury-Markets colleagues to ensure that SCB maintains “best-in-class” practices and apprised of all/any changes related to balance sheet management. Experienced banker that can access a myriad of external peer groups.
- Be in position to provide empirical evidence for pricing, liquidity, and limits on exposures to ALCO and the business to foster understanding and confidence in our approach.
Role Specific Technical Competencies
- Investment Performance Measurement
- Market Risk
- Asset and Liability Management
- Financial Risk Management
- Risk Management
- Liquidity Management
- Financial Products and Markets
- Governance, Regulation and Risk Management
- Resolution Planning
- Numerate, focused, responsive, excellent MS-Excel skills.
- A good understanding of Treasury – Markets business, liquidity aspects, limits, market trends, regulatory requirements and pricing.
- Ability to build and maintain good relationships with internal and external partners.
- A moderate degree of complexity to manage the cashflow processing real time.
- A high degree responsiveness in responding to numerous information flowing to Treasury – Markets.
- The individual should be self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision