About the job
What You’ll Be Doing
- The Safety Officer under general direction from the Project H&S lead, provides on-site technical support for implementation and administration of a project safety program.
- Will be responsible to check all safety measures on site to ensure compliance with the standards and approved safety plan. He will be proactive when noticing any potential danger to life or properties and stop the work if necessary or correct the fault immediately. Monitor the activities on the site and the compliance by both the supervision team and the contractor with the site safety plan and safety regulations.
- Check the site activities regularly to ensure compliance with safety plans and safety rules.
- Conducts audits and inspection of work areas, machinery, equipment, and working conditions for compliance with occupational safety and health regulations.
- Reports incidents of non-compliance to codes and standards, and may recommend corrective actions. Follows up to confirm implementation of corrective actions.
- Ensures the availability, readiness, and proper use of required accident prevention procedures, safety and fire prevention equipment, protective clothing and other H&S devices.
- Maintains records of safety audits and inspections, as well as required follow up actions.
- Maintains inventory fire / life safety equipment. If properly certified in first aid, may function as first aid attendant, providing first aid care to occupationally injured or ill personnel.
- Conduct new hire safety orientations, and weekly toolbox talks and may assist in other training programs.
What Required Skills You’ll Bring
- Associate Degree (HNC/HND) in Occupational Safety and Health or related field (Engineering or Science) and typically 7 years of related work experience in the field of Health and Safety, with 4 years in a large infrastructure project.
- Must have NEBOSH IGC and prefer to hold IOSH MS or WS.
- GCC experience is preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of International Best Practices.
- A candidate whose experience has been predominantly with private consultancy firms is highly preferred.
What Desired Skills You’ll Bring
- Good leadership skills to coordinate safety activities. Capable of developing site action plans. Good written and oral communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to interact effectively with project personnel and project management.
- Set a high personal example of Health & Safety at all times.