About the job
The Hospitalist – Acute Care Medicine within the Division of Internal Medicine, is a physician with clinical training and a specialist qualification in critical care medicine. The Hospitalist- Acute Care Medicine provides family-centered medical care services to medical, obstetrical, gynecological and surgical patients including:
- Management of critically ill adult patients in HDU unit.
- Preoperative screening for gynecology, obstetrics, renal transplant, plastic surgery, urology.
- Management of postoperative complications.
- Management of obstetrical emergencies and complications.
- Management of Sidra rapid response and blue code.
The Hospitalist – Acute Care Medicine is a health care professional and patient advocate. Additional involvement in academic and quality improvement projects is encouraged and required. Such activities include but are not restricted to participation in Nursing and Allied Health education, Resident and Fellow training, contribution to ongoing clinical research projects and/or the development of divisional guidelines or involvement in divisional multidisciplinary quality improvement projects.
By delivering the very highest quality in clinical care, Sidra Medicine serves as a magnet for patients within the borders of Qatar and beyond.
KEY ROLE ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Coordinates and facilitates direct delivery of patient and family care within a multidisciplinary framework primarily in an inpatient care setting, to ensure a patient/family focused and service-oriented environment that is in accordance with Evidenced Based and Best Practice standards.
- Ensures appropriate triage, management of and continuity of care for critically ill patients, coordinating the transfer to Hamad Medical Corporation when deemed required on the basis of agreed SLAs.
- Under the supervision of the Attending Physicians, assesses and identifies the health needs of the patient population and plans, implements, and evaluates interventions appropriate to meet those needs in accordance to organizational standards and accreditation requirements.
- Collaborates with multidisciplinary health care team to devise treatment plans based on patient/family needs to ensure the delivery of high quality and evidence based services that are sufficient, efficient and responsive, and designed to meet the identified patient/family care needs and organizational outcomes.
- Contributes to ensuring that clinical practices within the Division of Adult Internal medicine in Women’s Services are in compliance with all applicable standards and requirements of the Joint Commission International, Ministry of Public Health, and all other applicable regulatory bodies.
- Provides counseling and anticipatory guidance to patients and families regarding physical, psychosocial and developmental needs.
- Facilitates effective inter – and intradepartmental communication between patient, family, community and interdisciplinary team members for collaboration, liaison, networking and teamwork to ensure the maintenance of strong and professional relationships.
- Elicits, performs and records the history of physical examinations on assigned patients. Under the supervision of the Attending Physician, develops a differential diagnosis for the presenting problem and implements a plan for management.
- Develops and performs necessary diagnostic and therapeutic procedures per standardized protocols.
- Under the supervision of the Attending Physician, collaborates with Case Management and Discharge Planning teams to plan and facilitate the continuity of comprehensive care of specialty patient populations from hospital, home and outpatient setting.
- Assists in the assessment of learning needs of patients and families, and works in tandem with the Community and Patient Education Department to develop and implement patient education materials and programs that are centered on the learning preferences, religious and cultural values, and appropriate reading and language skills of target audience to meet those identified needs.
- Models an understanding, appreciation and respect for an inclusive workplace environment that respects differences and diversity.
- Under the supervision of the Attending Physician, identifies and facilitates resolution of challenges and problems when appropriate to improve Division cohesiveness and patient satisfaction.
- Assists in the promotion of a safe working environment inclusive of cultural competence and continuous learning, development and growth.
- Participates in the Quality and Performance Improvement activities through regular chart review, targeted CQI activities, and the systematic and detailed review and evaluation of patient outcome data.
- Provides both day-time and night-time patient care coverage as directed by the clinical schedule of the Division.
- Provides effective and timely record-keeping and documentation.
- Maintains knowledge of current research and incorporates findings into clinical practice.
- Actively participates in clinical research projects as directed.
- Actively participates in clinical management consensus development.
- Is active in professional organizations and maintains Medical License.
- Participates in Nursing, Allied Health, and Post Graduate Medical Training as required.
- Conducts other duties as directed by the Attending Physician, and the Division Chief.
- Assists with Sidra marketing strategies as required.
- Promotes and assists in physician community outreach programs as appropriate.
- Supports the development of Sidra as a world-class regional center
QUALIFICATION & EXPERIENCE
- MD, MBBS degree (or equivalent)
- Board Certification in acute care medicine, critical care or intensive care medicine.
2+ years of post-board certification experience