About the job
Primary purpose of the job
QatarEnergy is looking for an experienced Data Engineer in the Trading Solutions team and fully immersed in QatarEnergy Trading Front Office:
- Develop and implement greenfield data architecture and processes within the front office of a global LNG trading organization to enable market analysis and trading functionality.
- Build bespoke data collection (e.g. API connectivity, FTP, HTML web scraping) tools and connections to a variety of remote sources, including non-standard (such as non-western language) web sources. Lead construction of visualization, reporting, and modelling tools (bespoke web applications, Power BI, Tableau) and provide technical expertise to the wider team in this area.
- Design and construct economic models for market analysis and price prediction, implemented primarily in Python & VBA.
- Contribute and support data analysis and model outputs to contextualize and employ data in support of LNG trading activity. Build, maintain, and expand structured databases (MS SQL) for the storage and retrieval of global gas & power pricing and fundamentals data.
- Take primary responsibility for driving data quality and integrity standards across the LNG trading organization, driving processes, standards, and raising general awareness of the importance of world-class data quality throughout the business.
- Provide timely expert and technical support on Trading analytics systems. Contribute as required to IT projects to implement new or transform existing Trading solutions.
- Document and share knowledge & practices related to Trading analytics systems.
- Apply security measures by following security procedures and standards to ensure secure environment. Manage and address Trading systems vulnerabilities and threat.
Experience & Skills
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working as a data engineer or front office developer with experience building data feeds (from scratch) within the financial industry.
- Adept at designing, constructing and managing large datasets, including database implementation, data scraping and collection, data clean-up, retrieval, and eventual visualization & reporting.
- Experienced in construction from scratch of detailed and bespoke economic models which interface with data warehouses.
- Extensive experience developing front office trading tools and models.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the implementation and use of visualization and reporting tools and models, ideally within a trading front office environment.
- Knowledge of ETL/ETLS and Data Warehousing concepts and technologies.
- An understanding of the global Gas and LNG markets as well as related Trading business is strongly preferred. Knowledge and experience dealing with LNG/G&P data types & sources.
- Ability to implement solutions using Agile methods, including prototyping and tactical solutions to meet the short-term and dynamic needs of the business.
- Excellent stakeholder management skills, at a variety of organizational levels.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-reliance and self-sufficiency; willingness to help build a business from the ground upwards in a phased manner but with quick short-term solutions essential for success.
- Strong delivery focus is critical.
Bachelor’s degree in computing/mathematics/engineering/data science field.