About the job
Working under the close supervision of the Principal Investigator (PI) or more senior staff on sponsored research projects performs standard laboratory procedures and provides routine technical laboratory support for a Research Faculty.
- Performs simple bio-assays, prepares buffers, solutions, media, and reagents for standard prescribed tests.
- Operates, calibrates and performs routine maintenance on standard and specialized laboratory equipment
- Prepares and maintains detailed records, logs and summary reports of all procedures and results including graphs, scientific calculations and statistical analysis charting.
- Responsible for Quality Control and Assurance of samples, reagents, and data. Ensures laboratory compliance to all guidelines and standards of WCM-NY and WCM-Q
- Cleans and maintains laboratory hygiene, disposes of laboratory waste.
- Orders laboratory supplies, maintains laboratory equipment and related records, expenditures, including inventory control and material receipt.
- Develops and documents methods to improve processes in the laboratory.
- Assists in the review and development of new laboratory standard operating procedures
- Cross trains on equipment, coordinates vacations, etc with other team members to ensure smooth lab flow
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Previous research or laboratory experience desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Basic computer experience required for data entry and troubleshooting
- Previously demonstrated basic proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Previously exhibited individual initiative
- Previously demonstrated ability to communicate in both scientific written reports and professional presentations.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
- Must be able to lift 20 lbs unaided.
- Work may include using chemical substances requiring careful use and the use of protective devices and clothing.
- Work is approximately 30% is computer-based, and 70% lab based.
- May require extended and varying work hours to meet demands.